“It was leftover pasta”, my coworker said about his lunch and immediately had my attention. “In a fig and honey reduction.” I was instantly drooling. I had to have something fig and honey related for dinner, and decided a pizza might work out deliciously. (I may also have had pasta for dinner the previous two nights in a row…..) A distinct lack of figs at my local grocery store forced me to adapt my plans and go with Italian smoked bacon as a replacement. Not a horrible compromise. I then added a bunch of other delicious toppings and drizzled with honey. This hint of sweetness really put this pizza over the top. A most excellent addition 🙂
I started by frying up some red onion, red pepper and the bacon, and let it get nice and browned.
Then I created a solid pizza base out of a large pita, tomato sauce and grated old cheddar. Simple and delicious.
Then I threw on the aforementioned pepper mixture…
And added some ricotta.
Then it went in the oven until appropriately toasty.
Fresh basil and a drizzle of honey finished it off. TO DIE FOR.
Honey Pancetta Pizza Recipe
1 tbsp olive oil
1 Large pita
1/2 cup Tomato sauce
3/4 cup grated old cheddar
1/4 sliced red onion
1/2 sliced red pepper
1/4 cup pancetta
1/4 cup fresh ricotta
1 tbps fresh basil
1-2 tsp honey, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat frying pan on high heat and add olive oil. Once oil is heated, add onion, peppers and pancetta. Cook for about 15 minutes, until softened and browned.
- Spread tomato sauce on one side of the pita and top with grated cheddar. Top with pepper mixture and ricotta.
- Bake in oven until cheddar cheese is melted, then turn on the broiler for a few minutes to brown the crust.
- Top with basil and drizzle of honey. Serve and enjoy!