Plums are juuuuust coming into season now, and I suggest using them in the following fashion: chop up some fresh ones and cook with honey, soy sauce and red wine. And sautéed garlic, of course. Now use this intoxicating saucey/broth mixture to cook some chicken breasts. The chicken will become infused with this sweet and savoury flavour combination, and the texture will be beyond juicy. Mix in some veggies too if you like. Also don’t forget to drizzle the sauce over some buttered basmatti rice, and your delicious, saucy meal will be ready to eat!
Start by chopping up some colourful veggies if you like…
Sear up some chicken and chop up some plums…
Mix together the wine, honey, soy sauce and plum preserves and pour over the chicken. And feel free to use a skillet if you’d prefer. It gives everything a bit of a “rustic” flavour…I’m not entirely sure what that means, but it’s definitely a good thing.
Mix in your veggies and serve on a bed of rice. Or noodles. Noodles are always an option for me. And don’t forget what I said before about the drizzling of the sauce. It’s mandatory.
Honey Plum Chicken Recipe
2 – 4 Large chicken breasts
2 tbsp olive oil
6 garlic cloves
2 cups red wine
2 bay leaves
¼ cup plum preserves
½ cup honey
¼ cup soy sauce
2 plums, pitted and chopped
2 cups chopped veggies
Green onion, sliced
- Put the chicken breasts in a large bowl and add the red wine and bay leaves. Toss to coat and leave to marinate about 1 hour in the fridge.
- In a separate bowl, add the plum preserves, the honey and soy sauce. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a heavy pot over medium-high heat. Remove the chicken from the wine, then brown on both sides, about 2 minutes per side.
- Reduce the heat to medium, then add the garlic. Stir it around in the bottom of the pan for a couple of minutes to release the flavour.
- Add 1 cup of the wine, the chopped plums and the honey-plum-soy mixture.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and simmer until chicken is cooked through, and juicy. At least 20 minutes. Add veggies a few minutes before serving so they stay tender-crisp.
- Serve on a bed of noodles or basmati rice, and cover with spoonfuls of sauce.