I’ve noticed that a lot of my posts lately have been meat/bacon-centric….and this one is no different! I guess I’ve fallen into a pretty heavy bacon phase, but I’m not fighting it. I made these fancy quesadillas for dinner with a salad on the side, but I would have them as appetizers as well (and breakfast too probably, if presented with the opportunity, but that’s beside the point). Salty, sweet, crunchy, cheesy flavour heaven here I come!
Start with everyone’s favourite ingredient….the bacon.
Meanwhile, chop up some apples and add the bacon and some caramelized onions to make the quesadilla filling. Add a bit of BBQ sauce to the mixture too so it isn’t dry. Extra flavour too!
Load up some of the filling on a tortilla with cheese.
Better add some more cheese on top of that!
Top with another tortilla and cook until golden and crispy, then flip and repeat on the other side.
Time to dig in!
Bacon, Apple and Cheddar Quesadillas
6 Strips Bacon
1 white onion
1 apple, chopped
1 -2 cups grated old cheddar cheese
2 tbsp BBQ sauce
8 flour tortillas
1. Cook bacon until crispy, and remove to a paper towel lined plate and dab bacon to absorb excess grease. Chop or crumble bacon into small pieces.
2. Slice onion, and fry over medium heat with a bit of butter, until browned and thoroughly cooked.
3. Mix bacon, onion and apple in a bowl. Add BBQ sauce and stir until evenly mixed.
4. Heat a frying pan over medium heat, and grease with cooking spray or a bit of olive oil. Add a tortilla and a handful of cheese. Top with bacon, apple and onion mixture.
5. Add another handful of cheese and top with a second tortilla.
6. Cover frying pan with a lid or plate to ensure cheese melts. Flip after 2 – 3 minutes or when bottom tortilla has browned.
7. Once both sides are golden and crispy and cheese has melted, remove from pan, cut into sections and serve! Serve with additional BBQ sauce and/or sour cream.