It took me an embarassingly long time to figure out that I don’t always have to bake an entire cake…..so yes, a new and brilliant concept to me: baking HALF a cake. That way your lack of willpower won’t be a problem. There won’t be as much cake available to eat! You won’t have to feel guilty about the cake going bad and “force” yourself to eat 6 pieces in 36 hours.
ANYWAYS, mix yourself up a little batter…
Throw it in the oven until appropriately golden brown.
Serve with a little scoop of vanilla ice cream. So good 🙂
Lemon, Blueberry, Chocolate Chip Cake
3 ½ cups cake flour
½ tsp salt
½ tsp baking powder
½ tsp baking soda
¾ cup unsalted butter, room temperature
2 cups sugar
1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
1 tsp grated lemon peel
4 large eggs
1 cup plus 2 tbsp buttermilk (regular milk works fine too, I’ve tried it)
2 cups fresh blueberries
1 cup milk chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Butter and flour a cake pan.
3. Sift flour and next three ingredients into medium bowl. Beat butter in large bowl (use electric mixer if you like – I find a fork works just fine) until large and fluffy. Gradually add sugar, beating until blended and scraping down sides of bowl occasionally. Beat in lemon juice and peel, then eggs 1 at a time, beating until well blended after each addition. Beat in flour in 4 additions alternately with buttermilk in 3 additions.
4. Fold in berries and chocolate chips.
5. Transfer batter to pan. Bake until tester inserted into centre comes out clean, about 40 minutes. Cool before serving.