I had some spinach that needed to be used up, so I decided to whip up a pasta dish for dinner tonight. Then I poked around the fridge and pulled out some tomatoes to dice up and some nice soft Boursin cheese for the sauce. I usually have garlic in the fridge, so I thought it would be in my best interest to roast a bit, and add a slightly nutty and creamy flavour. I thought right. I always forget how delicious roasted garlic is, and it’s so simple to make. You just have to think ahead by about 45 minutes, because it does take a bit of time to roast.
Let’s start by roasting the garlic:
Cut the top off a bulb of garlic, and drizzle some olive oil over top. Make sure most of exposed garlic has a bit of oil on it, or else it will burn. Add some salt and pepper, cover with aluminum foil, and put in the oven @ 350 for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, remove foil and put in oven for another 10 – 15 minutes. When garlic is golden brown and aromatic, scoop the cloves out and you’re good to go.
45 minutes later.
Had the Admiral firing on all cylinders tonight – literally. That nice big burner on the front left? Doesn’t work. Always have to use the three smaller ones, haha. Oh, Admiral.
ANYWAYS, cooked up some shallots and chicken, then added diced tomatoes, spinach and roasted garlic; threw together a cheesey-white wine-ish sauce creation; and finally, some linguine.
Then I threw it all together, and topped it off with fresh basil and ground black pepper. When the sauce is mixed into the tomato mixture it takes on a nice rosé flavour. Heavenly.
Cleaning out the fridge night is starting to become my favourite night! This was very tasty 🙂
Cleaning out the Fridge Pasta Recipe
I 1/2 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
2-3 Shallots, diced
1 lb Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast, chopped
4 – 5 Diced Tomatoes
3 Cups Fresh Spinach
1 Bulb Roasted Garlic
1/4 Cup Flour
1/4 Cup Butter
1 – 2 Cups Skim Milk
1/2 Cup soft cheese, such as Boursin
1/4 cup White Wine
1/4 cup Sour Cream
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1. Heat frying pan to medium-hot, add olive oil and shallots. Cook for a few minutes until golden brown. Add chicken and cook until no longer pink inside, about 10 minutes.
2. Add diced tomatoes, spinach and roasted garlic, and cook for a few minutes, until spinach is slightly wilted.
3. Add linguine and top with a few big spoonfuls of sauce. Sautee on a high heat for a few seconds. Top with Fresh Basil, ground black pepper and Parmesan cheese.
4. Pour a big glass of wine and enjoy!
1. Melt butter in saucepan, and slowly add flour, stirring the whole time. Once a paste has formed, slowly add milk and stir until fully blended.
2. Add cheese, white wine and sour cream, and mix until fully melted and blended together. Add salt and pepper. Taste and more milk, wine or sour cream to get desired flavour and consistency.
3. Bring to a simmer, then spoon overtop of pasta.